I know I had to type this article from Bo Sanchez, publisher and editor-in-chief of a catholic inspirational magazine called Kerygma distributed here in the Philippines, so I could share this inspiring article to you.





You Need The Power of Hustle

THERE ARE OVER 7.5 millionaires in America today. Around 20% of those millionaires are high school graduates only. There are 222 billionaires in America, and a full 10% are college dropouts. Why am I mentioning these facts?

Because I hear a lot of people say, "I'll never make it in life. I don't have a college degree." Go tell that to Bill Gates, the richest man in the world. Because he never finished college, too. Time and time again, I've heard Filipinos say, "I didn't graduate from Ateneo, La Salle and UP. I don't stand a chance." Really? Let me guys give you a few other facts.

Henry Sy, owner of SM and the 14th richest man in Southeast Asia, finished at Far Eastern University. Lucio Tan, the richest industrialist in the Philippines with a net worth of $1.5 billion, also studied at FEU but couldn't even finish because he had to get a job in a tobacco factory. Billionaire John Gokongwei, head of JG Summit, the largest conglomerate in the Philippines, had to quit the University of San Carlos in Cebu because, in his words, he had to be a "bodegero, warehouseman, cashier and collector" in their small family business.

Where are the guys who graduated from Ateneo, La Salle and UP? I'll tell you where: They've got good jobs, working for these guys. I'm not saying education isn't important. It's very important. But if you want to succeed in life (or in any area of it) – education isn't enough. You need something else.

I call it the Power of Hustle. Hustle can mean something bad. In today's jargon, when you say, "He's a Hustler," that means he's a cheat. I'm not using that definition here. I'm using that word the way they use it in basketball. When the coach shouts, "Hustle boys!" he's telling them to run, think on their feet, be aggressive. To hustle means to believe that there's a solution to almost any problem – and taking it upon yourself to find it.

I've seen the Power of Hustle in the most successful human beings in the world. They know what they want. They take responsibility. They keep on moving. And they never take "no" for an answer. Mother Teresa had it. Sam Walton of Wal-Mart had it. Remember Douglas MacArthur? He applied at West Point, was rejected, applied again, was rejected a second time, and applied for the third time! That's what you call hustle. In time, he became on of the greatest generals of WWII.

Have you ever read Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield and Mark Hanson? After writing the book, no one wanted to publish it. The author approached 33 publishers in New York and 90 publishers in California – and every single publisher rejected them. Again, they hustled and never gave up. Finally, a small publisher accepted their book. It went on to sell 53 million copies. Friend, hustle!


Now, I'm no college dropout, I finished college with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Computer Science but I ended up being a Graphic Designer/Layout Artist where my weapon of choice is my Apple iMac, Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and FreeHand. Designing is my first love, the sight of my client's faces lighting up when I present to them my work is a fulfilling reward for me more than the money they pay for my service. Although, I wasn't able to use my chosen college major, I don't have any regrets because I was able to finish a college degree like my parents wanted. I know education is necessary but it's not enough to get you the things you want in life. Ask Steve Jobs and Kanye West about it. Lol.

0 comments

Businessblog search directory Bloggapedia, Blog Directory - Find It!Blog Directory & Search engine Business blogsOutpost Earth Blog Directory